WIAA 4A State Champions 2018/19
WIAA 4A State Champions 2017/18
WIAA 4A State Champions 2010/11
WIAA 4A State Third Place 2016/17
WIAA 4A State Third Place 2015/16
9 times placed 6th or better at State
Greater Spokane League Champions (GSL established 1976)
1976, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1990, 1991, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
DEFINING DOZEN OF BULLPUP BASKETBALL
TO STAY HERE:
- BE COMMITTED TO OUR ACADEMICS – Make a plan … prepare for the college of your choice. Bullpup basketball players are scholar-athletes, fulfilling Ignatius Loyola’s challenge to be a complete person, preparing oneself to be “a person for others.” This starts with academics, be a leader in the classroom. Talk to your teachers, counselor and/or me if you need help.
- BE COMMITTED TO HAVING CLASS – Treat teachers, janitors, office staff, lunchroom workers, managers, trainers, and all that you meet with respect. Treat other people, including fellow students, the way you want to be treated. Moody people are rude. Remember to smile, to say please, thank you, yes sir, and yes ma’am, and give people the benefit of the doubt.
- BE COMMITTED TO DOING THE RIGHT THING – We have plenty of school rules at Gonzaga Prep … know them. There is nothing more destructive than tobacco, drugs, and alcohol to both the individual and team commitment if the use of these substances is more important to you; maybe G-Prep basketball is not the place for you. Realize if you just try to do the right thing you will be OK. Try to do the right thing, Christian-Jesuit thing. If you do these, you are as close to perfect as any person can be. Athletes should hold themselves to a higher standard than the normal student at Gonzaga Prep.
- BE COMMITTED TO THE PROGRAM – We realize that our players are in a fishbowl at G-Prep. Every word and action will be watched. Our program’s reputation provides many opportunities, yet brings many responsibilities. We must be committed to build on the tradition of our program and respect those that have gone before us and paid the price to build the program.
TO PLAY HERE:
- BEING COMMITTED TO HARD WORK – Our program is built on the concept that hard work pays off. We believe that the most important factor is the effort. We believe that we work harder than anyone else, and because of that we always deserve to win. There is a reason we have been so successful for a long time; we work at it.
- BE COMMITTED TO BECOMING A SMART PLAYER – Our players must be ready to learn. We believe we work smarter than anyone else; we must develop players who understand the game. Our players must be good listeners and learn by watching. We must make good decisions, we must play with poise. We prepare mentally for practice and games.
- BE COMMITTED TO OUR TEAM ATTITUDE CONCEPT- We must have players who believe in our team concept. Our program is built on the concept that the team/program is bigger than any one player….We need unselfish players
- COMMIT YOURSELF TO A WINNING ATTITUDE- Our players must be committed to winning but understand we don’t measure our success by winning alone. Each time we play we evaluate ourselves on reaching our potential. The test for our team is to play against the game, not just our opponent. We never quit. We always are looking for a way to win.
TO WIN HERE:
- BELIEVE IN OUR SYSTEM- Commit yourself to our philosophy, to our system of play. Be a sponge and soak up the concept of how we play. Learn your role…then accept yours and do it the best you can.
- BELIEVE IN YOURSELF- Play with confidence, think positive, realize you are a great player in a great program. Don’t get down when you play poorly; realize you were chosen to be here….be a leader. Lead by example.
- BELIEVE IN YOUR TEAMMATES- Communicate with each other and help each other. Remember the strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack. Encourage each other and support each other. Don’t ever forget the importance of the shell around the team. Be a friend. We understand that we are all different- be tolerant of teammates and others.
- BE COMMITTED TO A TEAM ATTITUDE- Players are asked to sacrifice personal goals in order to believe in the Gonzaga Prep boys basketball team concept. The program is built on the concept that the team/program is bigger than any one player. Unselfishness is a character of all great individuals and all great teammates.