Overview: The new Follett Destiny Universal Search Catalog provides access to online resources ranging from subscription databases to free websites. While the free websites listed are helpful for current events or to answer a quick question, the subscription databases are often more appropriate for serious research.
Remember that when you access the Gonzaga Prep catalog from on or off campus YOU WILL NEED TO LOGIN AS A STUDENT AND USE THE DATABASE PASSWORDS PROVIDED ON THE IT SUPPORT PAGE OR BY YOUR LIBRARIAN
You can access databases in two ways: individually or as part of the Destiny Follett Catalog Universal Search:
- Individual Databases: From the student home page, (1) click on "library databases," (2) log in to your gmail account, (3) click on "How to Use the Library Databases" in "IT Support," (4) select a database, and (5) enter the user name and password for that database.
- Destiny Follett Catalog Universal Search: From the student home page, click on "Library Catalog" and log in as a student in the upper right corner (click "Guest" for the drop down). When you use the search box, database results will display under websites. You may still need to enter the username and password to open individual databases.
= Research Library with full-text magazines and newspapers (e.g., ABI/Inform Trade and Industry
, Family Health
, New York Times
, The Wall Street Journal
Issues and Controversies
= Over 800 research topics, including business, politics, government, education, and popular culture (updated weekly)
Or try these freely available websites . . .
U.S. Central Intelligence Agency World Factbook
U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets (Background Notes on Countries)
Teen Health and Wellness
- Numerous research topics, including diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, mental health, suicide, bullying, green living, financial literacy, digital literacy, and more
- general reference database for elementary and middle school learners, researchers, and educators
- full-text journals and magazines, images, maps and videos
- literature by specific authors and poets, study guides, plot summaries, author biographies, and literary criticisms
Free Websites available in the Follett Universal Search:
Encyclopedia of Earth
Other Databases freely available with some links to free text:
- international scholarly literature database, includes limiters for case law
- current biomedical scholarly literature database maintained by NIH/NLM