The new Follett Destiny Universal Search catalog provides access to a range of online resources ranging from subscription databases to free websites under the title "websites." While the free websites listed are helpful for current events or to answer a quick question, often subscription databases are more appropriate for research when you are writing a paper.
- Individual databases- From the student home page click on "library databases," login to your gmail account, in IT support click on "How to Use the Library Databases,"select a database and enter the user name and password for that database. Using the databases individually will allow you to use limiters such as date and full text to narrow your search.
- Destiny Follett Catalog Universal Search - From the student home page click on "library catalog" and login as a student in the upper right corner (click Guest for the drop down). When you use the search box database results will display under websites. You may still need to enter the username and password to open individual databases.
The subscription Proquest, Ebsco, and eLibrary databases have tools that assist you in citing the resource by clicking on Cite or Export in the right hand menu. Remember to always appraise these citations and make sure they are correct when setting up your bibliography.
If you need a comprehensive database to start your research, try EBSCO, MAS Ultra, or Proquest Research Library.
and ERIC (education), MAS Ultra = full-text magazines, biographies,newspapers, and images, TOPICsearch, Professional Development, Health Source Consumer Edition, Newspaper Plus
- Research Library = full text magazines and newspapers, ABI/Inform Trade and Industry, Family Health, New York Times, The Wall Street Journal
*Access requires that you enable pop-ups
Issues and Controversies
- Over 800 research topics, including business, politics, government, education, and popular culture. Updated weekly.
Or try these freely available websites:
U.S. Central Intelligence Agency World Factbook
U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets (Background Notes on Countries)
Teen Health and Wellness
- Numerous research topics, including diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, mental health, suicide, bullying, green living, financial literacy, digital literacy, and more
- general reference database for elementary and middle school learners, researchers, and educators
- full-text journals and magazines, images, maps and videos
- literature by specific authors and poets, study guides, plot summaries, author biographies, and literary criticisms
Free Websites available in the Follett Universal Search:
Encyclopedia of Earth
Other Databases freely available with some links to free text:
- international scholarly literature database, includes limiters for case law
- current biomedical scholarly literature database maintained by NIH/NLM